Tuesday 22 March 2011

Eggs and rice, Two ways!



Image of Finished dish
Egg and rice in two different ways
I've made some truly terrifying foods out of curiosity, boredom, or lack of resources. I seem to remember a sandwich that contained ham, cheese, chocolate spread, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and possibly peanut butter, liberally sprinkled with vinegar. There is a line between adventurous and insane, I'm fairly sure I know what side of the line I was on when that idea came to mind.

The recipes I will show now are far from that, they were actually really good. That's saying something, since I don't like omelette and one of the recipes has an omelette. I wish I had taken pictures while I was cooking it, but I didn't plan to post it to begin with. I do have some lovely pictures of the finished dish though, so you can enjoy those instead.



print recipe


Egg and rice, two ways.

Image of Finished dish
A rice filled omelette and egg fried rice.
Prep time: 0h5m
Cook time: 0h30m
Total time: 0h35m
Yield: 1 omelette and 2 servings of egg fried rice
Ingredients
  • 3 Fresh eggs
  • 100g Uncooked rice
  • Salt and pepper
Cooking Directions
  1. Cook rice according to the packet instructions, or bring salted water to the boil, add rice, bring back to the boil, turn down to a low heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
  2. Drain rice and put to the side.
  3. Beat two eggs with some salt and pepper.
  4. Heat a pan over a medium heat, pour in the beaten eggs and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan evenly.
  5. While the eggs are cooking in a pan, add half of the rice to a hot frying pan (use a dribble of oil if you are worried about it sticking, I didn't).
  6. When the beaten eggs are almost dry on top, add the remaining half of the rice and fold the omelette over. Heat gently for about 30-40 seconds and remove from the pan.
  7. Make a well in the rice in the frying pan, lightly beat the remaining egg and add it into the well in the rice.
  8. With a spatula or wooden spoon, keep lifting the egg so that the liquid, uncooked egg moves to the bottom (should be extremely quick, maybe 2-3minutes, be careful not to let your rice burn).
  9. Once the egg is firm, season with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly into the rice.
  10. Divide the egg fried rice between two plates, cut the omelette in half and place one on each plate with the egg fried rice.


If you get this far, you might be thinking "wait a minute, that egg fried rice is only egg and rice". Yes, this recipe is only egg and rice. Normally I would add some onion and spring onion, some vegetables such as sweetcorn and peas, and sometimes I'll add soy sauce into the egg when I'm lightly beating it.
Unfortunately I have none of those in my cupboards right now. I could have added leek and carrots for colour, flavour and texture, but I decided to keep it simple. It still tasted delicious.

Egg fried rice can be transformed by adding a few simple ingredients. Adding ham or prawns, or both can change the flavour dramatically, however the things you can add in aren't limited to only those. Feel free to experiment and leave comments about what you like in your egg fried rice.


Author:
Matt Conlan

No comments:

Post a Comment