Monday 21 March 2011

Fluffy White Meringues & Rich Yolk Meringues



Piture of meringue slice
Fluffy White Meringue

As a student a person will do many silly things. My most recent silly thing was to buy a box of 30 eggs with no clear plan on what to use them for. I guess that I thought I would make some cakes that used eggs, or something like that, but I used up all my flour making breads so that idea has fallen through.

However, this means that I have had a chance to brush up on my egg making skills, I haven't made plain eggs for a long time, so recently I've been practicing my poached eggs, fried eggs, boiled eggs and scrambled eggs. I don't make omelettes because I didn't like them when I was younger, perhaps I will make one this week to see if I like them now.

So when you have a big box full of eggs and not much else, what comes to mind? Of course it's meringues. I already had meringues on my mind anyway thanks to Emma's post on finding a good meringue topping for a lemon meringue pie at There's no crying in pastry. So here is some meringues I made today.





print recipe


Fluffy white meringue and rich yolk meringue

Picture of finished recipe.
White meringue adapted from Angela Nilsen's ultimate meringue. Yolk meringue was an experiment to use up the yolks.
Prep time: 30m
Cook time: 1h0m
Total time: 1h30m
Yield: 8
Ingredients
  • 3 Egg whites
  • 3 Egg yolks
  • 450g Granulated sugar
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven. The original recipe asks for 100C, but I preheated to 180C.
  2. Put the egg whites into a non-plastic mixing bowl and beat them until fluffy. The original recipe suggested using an electric mixer, I don't have one so I beat them by hand instead.
  3. Slowly add sugar in to the egg, a spoonful at a time while beating the mixture, until about 300g of sugar is beaten into the egg.
  4. When the mixture is soft, smooth and a bit whispy it's done.
  5. Spoon the mixture onto a lined baking tray, or do as I did and just tip it into an ovenproof bowl to make meringue "bars". Put the meringue into the oven, about an hour at 100C, or about 20 mins on 180C (until it is brownish on top).
    Picture of dish
    Another picture of the white meringue.
  6. Meanwhile, beat the yolks in a bowl until fluffy. Add in the remaining sugar, a spoonful at a time while beating, until pale and fluffy.
  7. Spoon the yolk mixture into a small tray (it was pretty runny, so a small pie tray or muffin case is ideal).
  8. Put the yolk mix into the oven for about 10 minutes or until firm on top.

I recommend using the original timings and heat, It was pretty good overall my way though. The white meringue went a bit weepy, so I probably beat the sugar in too quickly. The yolk meringue tasted amazing, but after a spoonful or two it got pretty sickly, since I was eating it on it's own. It would go nice on a cake, just under the icing or as a filling.

If anyone has any suggestions or comments about the design and layout of the blog, I'd love to hear them.

Author:
Matt Conlan

No comments:

Post a Comment